Friday, September 5, 2008

The Problem With Gay Marriage

By JENNIFER ROBACK MORSE

"I was able to deliver the following statement before the San Diego City Council. The Council was considering whether to add the City of San Diego's name to a Friend of the Court brief supporting a case in favor of same sex marriage, currently pending before the California Supreme Court."

September 18, 2007

Next week, I will be going to Canada to do a briefing for their Members of Parliament about why cohabitation is not the same as marriage. I mention that to indicate the my primary job is to straighten out the straight people. And believe me, it is a full-time job. I am here today to explain why I believe instituting same sex marriage will make that job immeasurably more difficult. The needs of same sex couples and opposite sex couples would both be better served by having distinct institutional arrangements, rather than by trying to have one institution serve the needs of both groups.

Read the rest here.

No comments: